Steam Guard is an additional level of security that can be applied to your Steam account. The first level of security on your account is your login credentials: your Steam account name and password. With Steam Guard, a second level of security is applied to your account, making it harder for your Steam account to fall into the wrong hands.
When Steam Guard is enabled on your account, when you login to your Steam account from an unrecognized device you'll need to provide a special access code to verify it's your account. Depending on your Steam Guard settings, you'll either receive an email with the special code or you'll get it from the Steam Mobile app on your smartphone.
How do I enable Steam Guard via email?
Steam Guard with email code verification is enabled by default on your Steam account if your email is verified and you have restarted Steam since verifying your email. But if you’ve disabled it and want to enable it again, follow these steps.
- Right-click on the Steam icon in the System Tray and select Settings or press the Settings button in Steam's File menu.
- Click on the Verify email address button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You should then receive an email message from Steam Support.
- Click the unique link provided in this email message to finish verifying your email address. The web page which then launches will confirm your success.
How do I enable Steam Guard via my smartphone?
Getting Steam Guard codes via your smartphone provides the best level of Steam account security because you're authorizing your logins with a physical device that you possess.
First, you’re going to need to download the app from the App store on your phone. It is available on iOS, Android and Windows 10 store. Now follow these steps.
1. Open Steam on your phone. On the dropdown menu, select “Steam Guard”. Press “Add Autheticator”
2. Insert the code you’ve received on your phone as SMS.
3. Write down the recovery code somewhere safe. This can be used to recover your account.
4. Well done. It’s activated!
When you try and login somewhere with your account. You will see this window.
When you have your Mobile Steam Guard turned on you can trade and use various sites, if you need help how to find your Steam trade link check our other blog post.